Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tuesday Dinner...

Tuesdays are always a bit hectic for me. It's the day that I call all of our chefs and get their orders for our restaurant deliveries on Thursdays. Chefs have their own personalities and if you don't catch them at the "right" time, they will not give you the time of day. Of course, they are also very, very busy and who has time to answer the phone when you have a restaurant full of 50 or more hungry customers? So I schedule my day around their day. :o) Joshua Wilton House gets called at 2 pm, call Keswick Hall before 10 am or after 2 pm, don't call Zynandoa until after 2 pm, cause the chef is sleeping. It's a bad idea to wake them up! Definitely NOT the way to get an order out of them! :o) I'm usually not on the phone with each restaurant for more than about 5 minutes each. So it works in fairly nicely with the kids. I only have to keep them "somewhat" quiet for 5 minute increments. Ha!
However, because Tuesdays are bit on the crazy side (or at least a little more crazy than normal), I don't usually get around to fixing a very nice meal those nights. It's usually a left-overs or grab what you can find kind of meal. But this Tuesday, I had some chicken that needed to be used up, so I had Daniel breast it out for me and decided to try a new recipe. (One of these days I'll take photos of each step on how to cut-up a chicken and post it on here for you.)
I don't know if you have had the opportunity to check out the Pioneer Woman Cooking site, but she has some awesome recipes. I was perusing it the other day and saw her recipe for the chicken/bacon sandwich thing and was inspired. In case you haven't gotten around to looking at it, here's how you make it:

You will need:
  • Polyface chicken breasts (1 per person)
  • Polyface Country cured bacon (don't soak it this time if you normally do)
  • lemon-pepper seasoning
  • cheese, sliced (I used colby, cause that's what I had)
  1. Put the chicken breasts between to pieces of plastic wrap and pound with either a meat mallet or a rolling pen until the breast is equal in thickness all the way around. Just don't pound it too thin. I think mine with just a little thicker than a 1/4 inch.
  2. Cut the bacon strips in half and fry them until they are chewy - don't crisp them. Set them aside and drain your pan, reserving about 1 Tbsp of the bacon drippings in the pan
  3. Liberally sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with the lemon-pepper. And place in your frying pan on med to med-low heat. Let fry for about 4 minutes.
  4. Flip the chicken over and layer the pieces of bacon on top of each breast. I used about 4 slices per breast, but my broiler was really small.
  5. Next lay cheese slices all the way across the top of the bacon. Put the lid on the pan and let it continue to cook until all of the cheese is melted. This took just about 3-4 minutes for me.
  6. Serve it and enjoy!

The Pioneer Woman says to serve it with a bun, but I didn't have any, so we ate it plain. Next time, when it's not a Tuesday I want to make mashed potatoes or twice-baked potatoes to go with it. We just ate it straight and I served it with some of my home-canned peaches. It was fantastic.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love The Pioneer Woman's website and I'd really love for you to take pictures and show us how to cut up one of your yummy whole chickens. I'll admit, I'm a bit intimidated. :)

Megan said...

Oh yum! We will have to try this soon. We just picked up chickens and bacon from you today...perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...