Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cooking for the holidays...

Thanksgiving is coming up and I'm starting to think about all the yummy foods around the holidays. Many folks have a traditional Thanksgiving meal with turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans etc. We do the same here. Although last year, we didn't have any turkey so we made a ham and had a Thanksgiving brunch instead. It was very enjoyable and much easier on us womenfolk. :o)
However, in honor of tradition, I thought that I would share my mashed potato recipe with you. I know that mashed potatoes really don't need a recipe, but these are not your everyday taters! They are just a little something special. (and easy too, if you find yourself cooking for a big group)
Extra Good Mashed Potatoes
taken from Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook
You will need:
  • 5 lbs potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
  • 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream
  • 3 tsp onion or garlic salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp butter, melted

Combine all ingredients. Pour into your slow cooker. Cover. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.

Hint: These potatoes can be prepared 3-4 days in advance of serving and kept in the refrigerator until ready to warm! (Isn't that awesome?!) :o)

Sheri's tip: I like to peel and slice about 6 cloves of garlic and put them in the water with the potatoes while they are cooking, then I ommit the garlic/onion salt and just add a little more regular salt. I love my potatoes with lots of garlic!

Do you have any family traditions or recipes to share? Please do! I would love some new ideas!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...