Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Polyface Patron Wednesday

Name: Jennifer Apple
  • Buying club: South Alexandria
  • Age: 29
  • How did you first hear about Polyface? I read the book In Defense of Food and The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan, and I was impressed by the description of Polyface’s philosophy and thrilled that such a farm was nearby!
  • How long have you been a Polyface customer? A little more than a year, I believe.
  • Have you ever been to the farm? No.
What farm animal describes you the best and why? The earthworm. You’ll find me behind the scenes, unassuming, hardworking and often overlooked, but my contribution to most things, whether it is at work or at home, is invaluable.
  • What is your favorite book and why do you like it? George Orwell’s 1984. It’s a sobering reminder of what humans are capable of doing to each other when the thirst for power gets out of hand.

  • What is your favorite time of day? When I arrive home from work. My son always greets me with a running hug and I get a kiss from my husband. What could be better than that?
  • If you could live anywhere in the world for a year, where would it be? On Polyface farm! I’d love to see it from inside, do the worthwhile work, and reap the tasty rewards. Anywhere else? I’d probably pick the Maine seashore.
  • Share a favorite recipe.

BLT Royale

Serves 2

Ingredients:

4 – Slices whole wheat or sourdough bread

6 – 8 – Slices of thick bacon

2 – Green lettuce leaves

4 – Thin tomato slices

Peanut Butter (Chunky is best!)

To Assemble:

1. Fire up the skillet and cook the bacon slices.

2. Toast the bread.

3. Slather the peanut butter on both of the warm bread slices.

4. Layer the lettuce leaf, three or four slices of bacon and two tomatoes on one slice and top with the other.

5. Bite and enjoy the nutty goodness that complements the hot bacon and juicy tomatoes.

6. Send one to me via express mail!

  • Complete the statement “I recommend…” For anyone who is tired of taking the blue pill and wishes to give the red pill a try (cultural reference here is The Matrix movie series), I recommend checking out the website written by George Ure called www.urbansurvival.com (a blog verson of the same site is at www.urbansurvival.com/blog). Another pair of websites for those of you keeping dibs on food issues: Locally (Ed Bruske)- http://www.theslowcook.com/ Nationally (Marion Nestle)- http://www.foodpolitics.com/
  • What one Polyface product would you most recommend? I totally recommend the chicken wings. They are meaty and huge, and they cook up nice and crisp in the deep fryer. Well worth the price compared to the bedraggled things they sell in the supermarkets.

Note from Jennifer:
I enjoy the challenge of eating local. It has been an eye opener how tasteless and bad for you many of the products are that are sold in the supermarkets. It is surprising how little people know about what is in these “foods”. And then to see the lobbying on behalf of the industries affected with bad PR…it’s all quite interesting (an example is the counter-campaign currently under way in magazines by high fructose corn syrup manufacturers that mocks the idea that average people like your hairdresser know better than say, a doctor or nutritionist, who, ostensibly, agree with manufacturers that HFCS is really not the villain it’s starting to be portrayed as…sighs.) Anyways, my tastebuds have never been so delighted as they are now. We get meat as we can from Polyface; milk, bread and yogurt from a local creamery; and we subscribe to a local CSA that delivers in season produce they grow every other week for the entire year. Learning to live and eat “in season” is an interesting experience! Come try it!

********
Every Wednesday, we would like to highlight one of our patrons. You are the folks who make Polyface succeed. You are the ones who vote with your food dollar for land healing, healthiness and educated food-buyers. To our every day heros - we thank you! Join in the fun! If you would like to participate, please leave a comment with your email address.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Jennifer,
We live in Fairfax and are interested to learn from what local creamery you get your milk, yogurt and bread?!
Thanks :)

Jennifer Apple said...

Hi! I use South Mountain Creamery (they also have a vegetable delivery service, South Mountain Veggies). Websites are www.southmountaincreamery.com and www.southmountainveggies.com. Their routes are always expanding so if you're not in an area they currently serve, e-mail or call them and see if they can change that. I live in the Fairfax section of Alexandria, but have to get my deliveries at my workplace in Old Town since my home is not on any route they currently have. Thankfully, we have a fridge at work!

My CSA, in case you're interested in that, is Olin-Fox Farms. They are the only CSA I could find that offers YEAR ROUND subscriptions, not just June through September, as is the norm. Website: http://www.olinfoxfarms.com/

PS: The yogurt from South Mountain is FABULOUS! If you do sign up for any of these, make sure to mention me. Maybe they'll be nice to me ha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...