Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hens 101


Add ImageRecently I had the pleasure of attending a course on raising chickens, "HENS 101" with Patricia Foreman in Lexington. Pat has over 20 years experience raising chickens. "City Chicks" one of her many poultry books. It provides solutions and ideas on how to raise a small healthy flock of hens in your own backyard. I've been recommending it to our suburbia friends and I'm finding it terribly resourceful with our flock of 500.
Here at Buxton farm  we eat a lot of eggs. Anyone who has read  Sally Fallon's cookbook, "Nourishing Traditions," can testify to the incredible amount of protein in an egg and how much the thyroid benefits from eating pasture raised eggs. There's a lot to be said about eggs.  Pat says the hens also benefit from eating the egg shells. She recommends grinding them in a food processor and then feeding them back to the hens for the calcium that it's in the shell. I started doing that this week.They  devour them and hard boiled eggs as well.
I look forward to reading "City Chicks." The book is packed with knowledge and also serves as a great reference. I must confess my reading time has been cut in half with spring here but every break I get I'm deciphering chapter after chapter. What a treat to meet yet another great person living amongst us here beautiful Virginia!

1 comment:

~Tonia said...

I just crush my egg shells/Left over hard boiled/iffy eggs and feed them back to the chickens. I dont have egg eaters in the flock becuase of it either. They get that plus left over whey and milk. I have never had to feed oyster shell.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...