Saturday, April 9, 2011

Getting to know Kristin

1. What inspires you?

Good music, birds chirping in the morning, my sweet family, singing in a choir, good coffee, laughing together, the change of seasons, eye contact, a clean kitchen, stacks of folded laundry, the smell of lemongrass and peppermint, old houses, the beauty of nature, antique shops, to-do lists that are checked off.

My darling husband Daniel and me


2. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

More wrinkles. A good gardener, hopefully! More in love with my husband. Homeschooling my son. More well-rounded, well-read. Still farming of course! Teaching music lessons.

Me, my son, and my nephew on our farm


3. What is one of your most fulfilling hobbies?

I love playing the piano and cello. I also love knitting. Long drives with no specific destination in mind.

My precious baby boy, about a year ago


4. What do you like to cook?

Preferably simple but delicious recipes. I like experimenting with stews, soups and stir-fry-- the combinations are endless. I like preparing meals I know are nourishing and healthful. However, if I had unlimited funds, I would hire a personal chef and spend my time doing other things!

Our sweet dog, Sadie. She found us in 2009.


5. What relaxes you after a long day of farming?
A glass of wine, time with my piano, going out to see the sun set over the mountains, laughing with my husband, admiring my clean kitchen (when it's clean, that is!), a leisurely walk, a hot shower, comfy pajamas, early bedtime, a good night's sleep.

The backyard


6. How do you deal with farm animal deaths?

I tend to feel very sad when an animal dies tragically or unexpectedly. When they die in due course, I feel unfazed and thankful that they will feed my family.

Cows by moonlight


7. With whom do you hope to share farming skills?
My little brother and his future family. My son. Anyone who wants to learn!

My husband and son


8. What do you like to read?

I like reading both fiction and non-fiction. One of my favorites is The Chronicles of Narnia- I've read those about once a year since I was a child. I also love the Sherlock Holmes collection, A Severe Mercy, The Bible. I love the Foxfire books, Joel's books, anything about homesteading, how-to books, knitting, music theory/history, etc...

You can see the roof of our little blue house behind the barn


9. What is your greatest asset?

I tend to think of myself as a very empathetic person. I'm also fairly stubborn- but it sounds much better if I call myself persevering! My husband says I'm faithful and well-grounded. He likes that I have old-fashioned ideals.

Sunset over the mountains, from our backyard

Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

Sheri said...

Love your pictures, Kristin. :o) Thanks for sharing!

Wendy said...

LOVE all your pics!! I've been looking for someone to give Maddie piano lessons!!! Is she too young? She's 4 1/2! xoxo

Jessy, Greg, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

oh sweet lady! it's fun to see what you are up to. thanks for sharing your new life with us! :)

Heidi Salatin said...

Loved the pictures, Kristin! Especially the one of your sweet boy at the piano.(=

Kristen said...

Wonderful post, Kristin! Love it!

Jamie said...

Well said. Nice touch with all the pics. It makes it ADHD user friendly. LOL! I'm so grateful that you are who you are; a wonderful mother, wife, friend, and sister!

Kristin said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments, ladies! :)

Wendy-- My requirements for starting piano lessons is that they know their ABC's and can count to 10. That's it, so if she's ready, I'd love to give her lessons! It's also helpful if she's able to sit still for 15-20 minutes at a time. At her age, I don't do lessons longer than 20 minutes :) but 4.5 is definitely not too young! I've taught 3 year olds before, and I'm "teaching" zeke a little everyday.

Jessy- I'm glad to be re-entering blog land :) I'll try to update my personal blog, too. xoxo

Margo116 said...

Hi, I'm a breast cancer survivor, health teacher from Long Island, have seen Food,Inc, and can't make the Long Island Small Farm Summit Joe is doing on april 15th but would love to go to the July 9th event. How can I find others from NY who would be willing to carpool?

Kristin said...

Margo116-- I would suggest gathering some friends and family to carpool with you. Remember to pre-register for field day (july 9th) at acresusa.com! If you can't gather a group to carpool, maybe you could put an ad on craigslist? Kind of a long shot, but you never know! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...