Thursday, May 12, 2011

Honey-Thyme Ham Roast

Last week I cooked a ham roast for the first time, and was pleased with the result. Using a slow cooker, the meat becomes fall-off-the-bone tender - and it's easy to make because it cooks while I work on the farm. Here's my recipe - how would you fix a ham roast?

4 LBS. ham roast ("pork fresh ham")
1/3 c. honey
1/4 tsp. salt
2 pinches nutmeg
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. thyme
pepper
1/2 c. water
1 medium onion, sliced

Place ham roast in an air-tight plastic bag. Mix together honey, herbs, and spices and rub into the roast. Let marinate in the fridge overnight. In the morning, place roast in slow cooker, cover in sliced onion, and pour 1/2 c. water on top. Cook on low for about 6 hours. Enjoy!
I served this meal with mashed potatoes, biscuits, roasted sweet potatoes & carrots, and oatmeal raisin cookies. :)

4 comments:

Sheri said...

what time is dinner?
Or should I say what Thyme is dinner, Honey? :o)
Okay, okay, I know - don't even say it.

Kristen said...

Thanks a bunch, Sheri!! :)
That brightened my day!
love ya!

Anonymous said...

Is this just a regular bone-in ham?
Thanks!

Becka said...

I got a ham roast from my CSA a few weeks ago and put it in the freezer, having no idea how to cook it since I'd never even heard of "ham roast." I finally thawed it out to have for dinner tonight. Figuring the crockpot was going to be my best bet, I spent about an hour online this morning, searching for recipes. I finally stumbled upon yours and decided it was the 'one.' I had to skip the marinating part since it was too late, so I just threw all the ingredients in the crockpot along with the roast......

The verdict: Totally. Yummy. It cam out tender & juicy with a very nice flavor. It went very well with maple & onion organic pork & beans & fresh, steamed green beans.

Thanks for posting this delicious recipe. I'm off to bookmark it now, and I'll definitely be getting a few more ham roasts from our CSA!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...