Wednesday, May 4, 2011

An Indian Recipe with a Twist

When I was young, my grandmother taught me how to cook Indian cuisine. I remember chopping lots and lots of onions and using rice, tomatoes, and fun spices to make the delicious dishes. Since living on my own, I have attempted to make her yummy meals. My grandmother never uses recipes, so I experiment and change little things. Here is a recipe for a dish that I made for supper last night. It's based on my grandmother's Indian cooking, but I've changed a few things to make it my own. This recipe uses simple household ingredients and is pretty simple to throw together. I like to make it at lunchtime and let simmer all afternoon, so when I come in from work, a warm meal is ready.

2 Tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. curry
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 LBS. hot italian sausage (I like to cut up the Polyface 4 oz. hot italian links into 1" pieces)
1 1/2 cups cooked beans (I used red kidney beans)
1 LBS. 12 oz. diced tomatoes
salt and pepper, to taste

Melt butter in saucepan.
Saute onion, garlic, and spices.
Add the sausage and cook until well done.
Add tomatoes and beans and let simmer.
Serve over warm, cooked rice.
Enjoy!


2 comments:

Vinay said...

Quite creative.

Kristen said...

Thanks, Vinay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...