Wednesday, June 15, 2011

River relief and gardening




Last weeks heat wave brought an incredible appreciation for our river. It is beyond refreshing to take a dip in between chores. The humidity is so powerful, reminds me of my infared sauna days in California. How delicious it is to have layers of fog in the early morning only to burn off later in the morning. The early blanket of fog gives us time some mornings to work in the hoop house weeding and thinning. Our corn and tomatoes  are coming in strong. We've been munching on cucumbers from the hoop house all week.  The garden is providing us with peas, onions, kale, chard, summer squash, a bit of lettuce, 
and some basil. Potatoes are nearly ready for harvest. I'm craving beets and carrots. We didn't get very good germination for our carrots due to the wet spring and our clay soil. I love juicing beets, carrots and cucumbers. Next year I will get many more beets in sooner and be sure to mark my "save" seed correctly. Looks like I confused beet seeds with chard which is not hard to do when you save as many seeds as I do. 

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Grace! Would you do a post on saving seeds?? I want to learn!! xoxo Kristin

Sheri said...

I would also like to learn how to save seeds. What a talented lady you are! :o)

Lacy Haugan said...

How do you save strawberry runners for next year?

Enjoy that morning time fog! I am in Texas and it as been 103+ every day for weeks with no end in sight! Working in the garden in these temperature loses some of its appeal. :( I'm looking forward to fall, though it's still a ways off.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...